Saturday, October 20, 2007

Primera


Primera ("first" in spanish) was our first surgery dog. Chosing to do this was an unsettling decision. Nonetheless it was a decision I made a while back when I decided to attend RUSVM. We were given PCV (packed cell volume) and TP (total protein) and a brief signalment two days before surgery. This of course was 1 of 2 terminal surgeries we will perform this semester. After getting the results I quickly walked over to the kennels to meet my patient. She was a middle-aged, thin, timid dog with pendulous mammae, a far too common site on the streets of St. Kitts. All I could think about was her last sunset, her last meal, her last walk. I'm a sensitive kind of guy I'll admit that, but as Dane (my surgery partner) and I knelt down petting Primera I could see he was certainly thinking the same thing. Thanks Primera.