Sunday, January 08, 2006

Slim Pickins'




Getting a car on St. Kitts is rather comical. The trick is to buy a car that will not fall apart on the way to the mechanics'. Here's a fine example:

or better yet this one here:



I settled on a $4500Nissan Sentra that wouldn't get $1500 in the states. Electricity is super expensive. I heard of a student that left their a/c on night and day. At the end of the semester they had a bill of $8000! Slow service with an attitude. Lanes wide enough for 1 1/2 hatchbacks. And of course it took me about two days to get used to shifting with my left and driving on the left side of the road. The first few days I kept getting in the passengers side of the car, using my wiper instead of turn signal. As a matter of fact one student almost killed us as she drove off the lot thinking she was still in Kansas.

Some dissolusioned classmates at the car lot

School starts tomorrow and I'm set to go. Appartently there is a 40% failure rate at Ross. It was a sobering thought to look around during group outings and think that some will bite the dust. May the force be with me!