Tuesday, July 18, 2006

1680

I figure I should look at this challenge through the eyes of the cyclists that I am. On the way to school atop my Eddy Merck AL dodging cow pies and goat pellets it dawned on me how I can make a Tour out of this. At 3.0 miles round trip M-F makes for 15 miles per week and 240 miles per stage/semester,and a total of 1,680 miles! Oh, 7 stages total (on the island) 3 in the states (different race though). So far I'm glad to report that I haven't DNF'd (Did Not Finish), and only two flats so far too.

Stage 2 is supposed to be easier from what I hear but it hasn't been for me. I'm actually looking forward to stage 3 which is supposidly difficult because of Mt. Reich (Dr. Reich). Apparently Dr. Reich is a Hor category climb (most difficult) and will shatter the field. However, stage 1 proved that Mt. Reich and I jive just fine. I'm banking that my previous exposure to arterial blood gases as an RT will come handy as the bulk of Reich will cover this topic in great detail.
Until then I can only dream about this sweet single track in Colorado, Thee 401 trail....somedat we shall meet.
See most of you in August after stage 2! Hopefully I can catch a few rides while I'm in California.