Monday, September 11, 2006

Back in the Groove

So far this semester is alot more palatable than last semester. Out of the five courses the only one I anticipate being painful to study for is virology. The one thing I've concluded is that I'm a physiologists at heart. That is because when I hear physio I'm mesmerized and find myself wanting to hear a few more minutes. Pathology on the other hand is painful, I mean looking at the clock only 10 minutes after the lecture has started says enough. Maybe it's all in the delivery, afterall some people are born story tellers.
Somehow I thought of a great idea, a life-long perhaps overzealous idea that has my gears turning fast. That is I wondered why my alma mater Loma Linda University doesn't have a veterinary program. So I thought well I'm going to figure this out and talk to some people. So during one of my breaks I ran into Dr. Kainer getting his coffee on. You have to understand Dr. Kainer is the oldest on staff (about 87 or so), nice guy. However, I'm afraid sometimes he forgets to take his meds because he sure can get moody:
Sergio: hey! Dr. Kainer how are you doing? Taking a coffee break? (happy)
Dr. Kainer: YES!! I DESERVE IT!! (serious)
Sergio (thinking): whoa! just me Sergio, not your boss.
he was fine after he got that off his chest. So he went on to tell me that the biggest challenge would be for me to find professors. I would of asked him as my first recruit but realistically he probably won't be around by the time I get this idea rolling. It makes sense too because I just read that UC Davis is seriously considering offering a public health program. However, there problem is recruiting professors of course. Currently only four schools in CA offer such program (berkeley, loma linda, ucla, and san diego). I can already see it "Loma Linda School of Veterinary Medicine", why not we have everything else except law and engineering school. Far fetched? maybe. Lots of work? yes. Willing to do it? definitely.
Being on the island we often forget about holidays as we are in a different world. Today I saw Dr. Hutchison with an american tie and recalled the date. It's a day of reflection on all the innocent lives lost on 9/11.


We Will Always Remember

One hundred and five stories up
Two hundred yards away in the crosshairs

A brother calls for help
An enemy stands unaware

Unaware worked a sister
Aware flew the enemy

Thinking of the task at hand
Destroying lives above and below

Afraid a mother stood with her children
Afraid the enemy ran

Looking on helplessly
Not knowing where to hide

Together we remember
Alone they shall die

Together we stand