Tuesday, November 15, 2005

For Sale: 30 y/o male


Moving has become real when posting my belongings on Ebay. It's the point of no return. I'm entrusting my steeds and guns to my brother-in-law. He should be able to squeeze a few rounds off and take my bikes for a ride ever so often. I've sold everything from race wheels to gum ball machines. My big 3-0 is coming up fast and I'd like to say I'm turning 25, but gotta face reality sometime. Luckily USCF/NORBA drills it in your noggin' for the whole racing season. So by the time November swings around I've been desensitized to my racing license saying I'm 30.

At the time I'm looking to buy a cross bike. It would be a good all-around bike: commuting to school, maybe a cross race on December vacation and decent road rides. I checked out the Trek Factory website and found that the west coast factory team http://www.trekfactoryteam.com/ has an average age of 38! Wow I might just have a chance to be like Mike Lee when I grow up, hmmmm. Anyhow, the guys freakin' rock, my helmet off to em'.

Today I watched the 94' Tour and was surprised at how many bald young guys were in the peloton, even Pantani! Riis and his team mate looked like twins, I thought I was seeing double. The French sure did have a good Tour back then. Things have changed now and will probably change more once Leblanc leaves. Everyone had quil stems and no helmets!

I finished my lackluster season with the 9th Annual Salmon Duathlon (http://www.onyourmarkevents.com/). This was held in my stomping grounds so I had to go represent. I was happy with my 4th place finish but was disappointed to have been beaten by the fastest chic (Webcor). I was feeling good on the run then transitioned onto the bike smoothly. On the out leg I was reeling em' in and then started cramping like a mofo. This chic passed me up about 2 mph faster and kept her within a few seconds until the turn around. I figured out that if I kept a steady low rpm I would ward off the cramps ( doesn't make sense to me). I had about a minute on her in the transition going into the last run. I experienced full-lock-out of the hamstrings as I reached down to put on my kicks. A few swear words later I started my last run leg. Coming around a turn on the run I heard someone cheer "Go Alicia"! Dammit! I was doing like a 9' mile at this point, while she was doing a 8:55. On the homestretch I knew I'd come in just a few seconds behind her to the voice of the announcer saying: "and here comes our first female finisher, with some loser guy 8 seconds behind her"! I know I'm being to hard on myself but it sucks to be the cutoff guy. I learn alot in every race, in this one I learned to have fun. Olde men rule!

Later
SErg