Wednesday, March 01, 2006

C is for Continue

It's hard when we fall short of our expectations. It happens everyday. Here in vet school it's not a matter of "if" but of "when" we will fall short. Apparently 1st semester is one of the toughest, weeding process I imagine. I was consistently doing B's then I slipped to a C. I won't deny it, it makes me nervous to be on the edge like that. Especially when I work my toosh off for a C! But here at Ross a "C" is for Continue, because D's aren't considered passing here. They purposefully raise the bar higher to make sure 2nd rate students aren't produced.

The word on the street is that Ross students hit the ground running when we join our US counterparts for semesters 7-10. Rossies' have maintained this reputation for the last 20 years! To such an extent that our current dean came here from Michigan State University where he was assistant dean of the vet school. He wanted to know what makes the Rossies' tick. The student body consist of approximately 650 students and I imagine about another 150-200 stateside doing their clinicals at one of 22 affiliated schools. Here at Ross we get alot of hands on experience.

And from what I've heard if you can pass Dr. Yaphe's and Dr. Reich's classes then you will easily pass the entrance and boarding exams. Dr. Wallace also told us today that we just had a 100% pass rate for board examinations (the pinnacle of vet med) while other schools have a 50% pass rate. We're just a different breed. Willing to risk so much, travel so far, and get in such hugh debt!

As promised here's a picture of Dr. Kainer our oldest faculty member. As Dr. Smith put it (standing next to him) we will never learn as much as Dr. Kainer will forget! Dr. Kainer is early 80's and still going strong! Back in the day I heard he was the highest placed in his class and in the 97th percentile for the national boards examinations....a bright mind!


here's our most overqualified faculty member Dr. Harowitz (on right) consulting with my adopted grandfather Dr. Berg in the background. Dr. Harowitz probably just got out of school with these degrees: DVM, PhD, JD!!!

We'll I'm glad I got an A on my last exam so now the average is a B in Histology. Well I better get to continuing. Goodnight!