Thursday, February 01, 2007

dirty dog

Tomorrow I'll be doing my extra credit presentation in Lab Animal Medicine. The presentation will be on ECMO (Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation). It was briefly mentioned in one of Dr. Hankensons lectures. I decided to talk about ECMO because I know a little bit about it since I have a Respiratory Therapy background. Originally I wanted to do something a bit more applicable to Lab Animal Medicine like canine tooth cutbacks in piglets, but I changed my mind.


a little off-roading was necessary to get to the surf

Yesterday I decided to take a study break and joined my classmate Jonathan and a spouse named Art. They had an extra board for me but when we got to this beach it was riddled with lava rock and urchins for sure! It took John and Art about 15 minutes to carefully step to waste level water! I decided it would be best not to break someone elses board and took a few pics from the shore, the waves were knee high anyways.



saw these crustaceans on rocks on the shore their a gazillion years old!

these little chinchillas like dust baths

Really though chinchillas require dust baths because apparently it reduces the oils on their fur = healthy, happy chinchilla. So I decided now it's o.k. for Chump to roll in the dirt two nanoseconds after I bath him. . . . he must have a good reason!

Just had my first Pathology II exam last monday. After talking to a few classmates I guess I'm not the only one that made mistakes. On one scenario: 4 month old feedlot calf had diarrhea for four days then suddenly died with a picture of the ileum and focal hemorrhagic necrosis. I should have put BVD (Bovine Viral Diarrhea) however, I put the second best answer: Salmonella! I hope he gives partial credit because that question was worth about 20% of the total exam grade. Afterall, I did list the pathogenesis for salmonella to the T so it goes to show I know the second best response very well. It was rather frustrating however, because I could recite everything about BVD in my sleep. Oh well, atleast I have three more opportunities to improve. I better hit the sack because it's almost 1 am!

Goodnight or is it goodmorning?

Sergio